V. I. Lenin
Written: Written in July 1905
First published in 1905 in Lenin Miscellany.
Printed from the original.
Translated: Yuri Sdobnikov
V. I. Lenin Internet Archive (www.marxists.org)
Permission is granted to copy and/or distribute this document under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
To All Citizens!
To the Russian People
and to All the Peoples of Russia
1. Full-scale war—bloodshed—fusillade of January 9—barricades in
Riga—Caucasus, Poland—Odessa, etc.,
2. Over what?
F r e e d o m s for the people.
3. Government’s response. Fraud of the Zemstvo people. The government
issues the challenge. The Army and the Navy vacillate.
4. What is to be done? Revolutionary army and revolutionary government.
5. All class-conscious workers, all honest democrats, all peasants prepared
for the struggle must rally together and organise in groups and detachments
of the revolutionary army, obtaining arms, electing their
commanders, and keeping themselves prepared to do everything to help the
6. Establishment of a revolutionary government should be stated as the
aim. Consolidation of the uprising. Concentration of people’s
forces. Organisation of freedom and struggle for freedom.
7. The slogans and aims of the revolutionary government.
Five principal—central—foundation of people’s form of government
(1) Constituent assembly.
(2) Arming of the people.
(4) Peasant committees.
(5) Liberation of oppressed nationalities.
(6) 8-hour working day.
8. Revolutionary army and revolutionary government. Workers, organise! Try
to direct the crowd! Draw in the peasants!
It has not been established whether Lenin did write and publish the